How important is proper preventative maintenance you might ask, well let’s examine this for a second. Without accounting for accreditation compliance implications, a piece of equipment that is neglected or overlooked can occur significant costs throughout its life cycle. These costs stretch from high repair costs, field failures, and early replacement. You as a provider have already made the investment into the equipment, so extending the life of the equipment while eliminating touch points is in your best interest. With payer reimbursement once again being reduced to the tune of 30% in some areas the new name of the game should be maximizing device utilization. Without proper preventative maintenance you could be left with a subpar inventory. Thus adding to patient dissatisfaction, reduced referrals, and high logistics cost associated with the exchange of equipment. The specific financial impact of neglected equipment varies between equipment type, volume, and severity of neglect and is outside the scope of this article.
Utilizing a third party to structure and execute a maintenance plan can be a very useful tool. A third party will accept the responsibility of the equipment and accreditations. Here are some tips that you should inquire about when looking for a company to perform the Preventive Maintenance on your equipment:
- Does the company carry General Liability Insurance?
- Are the Biomed Technicians Factory trained and can the company show proof of training?
- Is the Company Factory Authorized?
- Does the company use Test Equipment for the PM’s?
- Does the company upgrade the equipment’s software to the latest version?
- Does the company calibrate all parameters of the equipment?
- Does the company follow the manufacturer’s guidelines/requirements for Preventive Maintenance of your equipment?
- Does the company provide test documentation for each PM?
- Is there a warranty with the PM?
- Are any parts included with the PM, if so what?
- Is the PM for your equipment required or recommend and how often?
Taking all of these recommendations into consideration and keeping your Medical Equipment on a routine PM cycle will not only protect you and your company, but will also ensure the safety of the patients that it is being used on.
Featured Medical Equipment Products from ACBIO:
Resmed and Respironics.
Warranty and Non-Warranty Repair and Maintenance
Full One Year Warranty